As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you.
Summer is just around the corner, and with it comes the joy of outdoor cooking and grilling. But what if you live in an apartment with limited outdoor space? Or maybe you just want a grill that’s easy to use and doesn’t require a lot of maintenance.
That’s where the Weber Lumin and Weber Lumin Compact electric grills come in. With their compact size, versatility, and convenience, this grill is perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy the taste of summer, no matter where they live.
- Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Review
- Introducing the Weber Lumin Electric Grill
- Weber Lumin vs Lumin Compact Electric Grill
- Design and Construction
- Weber Lumin Features
- Weber Lumin Pros and Cons
- User Feedback
- Weber Lumin Price and Value
- Optional Accessories
Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Review
Welcome to our comprehensive review of the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills. These innovative grills, designed by the renowned company Weber, have quickly gained popularity among avid grill enthusiasts and casual users alike.
With the Lumin Compact offering the same features as the original Lumin, only in a smaller size, these electric grills cater to a wide range of needs and preferences.
In this review, I provide an in-depth analysis of both the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills. I’ll discuss their design, construction, features, pros and cons, user feedback, pricing, and optional accessories.
By the end of this review, you will have all the information you need to make an informed decision on whether one of these grills is the perfect addition to your outdoor cooking arsenal.
So, let’s dive right in and explore what these Weber electric grills have to offer!
Introducing the Weber Lumin Electric Grill
Despite its size, the Lumin grill packs a punch when it comes to performance. It has a temperature range of up to 600 degrees, which means you can cook anything from burgers to steaks to vegetables with ease. The Lumin’s high heat capability also means that it can preheat in just 15 minutes, which is perfect for those impromptu grilling sessions and makes it one of the best outdoor electric grills.
The Lumin Grill also features a steam setting, which allows you to steam vegetables and even defrost frozen food. And with the Smoke Infusion setting, you can add that unmistakable taste of smoke to your food by using a handful of Weber wood chips.
Weber Lumin vs Lumin Compact Electric Grill
Related reading: Weber Pulse 1000 and 2000 Electric Grill Review
Design and Construction
Materials and Build Quality
Weber is well-known for its high-quality and durable products, and the Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills are no exception.
Both grills feature robust construction with a combination of stainless steel, aluminum, and porcelain-enameled materials, ensuring longevity and resistance to harsh weather conditions.
The cooking grates are made of porcelain-enameled cast iron, which not only retains heat evenly but also makes cleaning a breeze.
Comparing the Dimensions and Weight of Both Grills
The Weber Lumin Electric Grill has dimensions of 25.50″ H x 25.50″ W x 21.00″ D with the lid open, and 12.00″ H x 26.00″ W x 19.00″ D with the lid closed. It boasts a total cooking area of 242 square inches and weighs 36.5 pounds.
On the other hand, the Lumin Compact Electric Grill is designed for smaller spaces and portability. With the lid open, it measures 22.50″ H x 23.00″ W x 18.00″ D, and with the lid closed, the dimensions are 11.00″ H x 23.00″ W x 16.50″ D. The total cooking area is 180 square inches, and it weighs 26 pounds.
|Feature||Weber Lumin Compact||Weber Lumin|
|Power Output||1,560 watts||1,560 watts|
|Dimensions – Lid Open (inches)||22.50″ H x 23.00″ W x 18.00″ D||25.50″ H x 25.50″ W x 21.00″ D|
|Dimensions – Lid Closed (inches)||11.00″ H x 23.00″ W x 16.50″ D||12.00″ H x 26.00″ W x 19.00″ D|
|Total cooking area (square inches)||180||242|
Portability and Ease of Storage
The Lumin Compact, being the smaller of the two grills, is significantly more portable and easier to store. It’s lighter weight and compact size make it an ideal choice for those with limited space or who need a grill they can easily transport.
The Lumin, though larger, can still be moved around with relative ease, thanks to its sturdy side handles and manageable weight.
Both the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills come in a range of stylish colors to suit your personal preferences and outdoor decor.
Choose from Black, Ice Blue, Deep Ocean Blue, Golden Yellow, and Seafoam Green finishes to complement your outdoor living space perfectly.
Weber Lumin Features
Cooking Grate Type and Total Cooking Area
Both the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills are equipped with porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates. This material is renowned for its exceptional heat retention and even distribution, ensuring perfectly cooked meals every time.
The Lumin offers a generous cooking area of 242 square inches, while the Lumin Compact provides a slightly smaller, yet still ample, 180 square inches of cooking space.
These electric grills boast four versatile cooking modes to suit any grilling need:
- High-Heat Sear: Ideal for achieving those perfect grill marks and a delicious crust on your steaks, burgers, and more.
- Steam: Utilize the steam mode to cook delicate foods like fish and vegetables, ensuring they remain moist and tender.
- Grill From Frozen: A convenient option for those impromptu barbecues, this mode allows you to cook frozen food items without the need for thawing beforehand.
- Keep Warm: Perfect for entertaining, the Keep Warm mode maintains your cooked food at the ideal serving temperature until you’re ready to serve.
One of the standout features of the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills is their smoke infusion capability.
By adding wood chips to the integrated smoker box, you can infuse your grilled dishes with authentic, smoky flavors usually only achievable on charcoal or gas grills.
Power and Temperature Capabilities
Both grills operate on 120v and have a similar power output of 1,560 watts.
These grills can reach impressive temperatures of over 600°F, allowing you to cook a wide variety of dishes to perfection.
Fuel Type and Power Cord Length
As electric grills, the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact require no propane or charcoal, making them eco-friendly and convenient alternatives to traditional grills.
Both models come with a 6-foot grounded power cord, providing flexibility when setting up your outdoor cooking space.
Weber Lumin Pros and Cons
Advantages of Weber Lumin Electric Grill
- Large cooking area: With 242 square inches of cooking space, the Lumin offers ample room for cooking a variety of dishes simultaneously.
- Powerful performance: The 1560-watt power output allows the grill to reach high temperatures quickly, ensuring perfectly cooked meals.
- Smoke infusion: The integrated smoker box lets you infuse your food with authentic, smoky flavors.
- Versatile cooking modes: The four cooking modes cater to different cooking needs and preferences.
- Eco-friendly: As an electric grill, it doesn’t require charcoal or propane, making it an environmentally friendly option.
Disadvantages of Weber Lumin Electric Grill
- Size: Its larger dimensions might not be suitable for those with limited outdoor space.
- Price: The Lumin is relatively more expensive than the Compact version, which might be a concern for budget-conscious shoppers.
Advantages of Weber Lumin Compact Electric Grill
- Compact design: The Lumin Compact offers similar features to the Lumin but in a smaller, more space-saving package.
- Portability: Its lighter weight and smaller dimensions make it easier to transport and store.
- More affordable: The Lumin Compact is priced lower than the Lumin, making it a more budget-friendly option.
- Adequate cooking area: The 180 square inches of cooking space still provide enough room for cooking various dishes at once.
- Same great features: Despite its smaller size, the Lumin Compact still offers the same versatile cooking modes and smoke infusion capabilities as its larger counterpart.
Disadvantages of Weber Lumin Compact Electric Grill
- Smaller cooking area: The Lumin Compact’s cooking area is 100 square inches smaller than the Lumin, which might be a limitation for those hosting larger gatherings.
As someone who loves grilling, I was excited to try out the Weber Lumin grill. Right off the bat, I was impressed with its large cooking area, which allowed me to cook various dishes simultaneously. The four versatile cooking modes, including High-Heat Sear, Steam, Grill From Frozen, and Keep Warm, catered to my diverse cooking needs and preferences.
The smoke infusion feature was a pleasant surprise, adding an authentic smoky flavor to my grilled dishes. I found the electric fuel type to be a more eco-friendly alternative to traditional charcoal or propane grills. Reaching high temperatures quickly, thanks to its 1,560-watt power output, the Lumin ensured perfectly cooked meals every time.
However, I must admit that the grill’s larger dimensions posed some challenges, especially when it came to finding enough space to set it up. Additionally, the relatively higher price of the Lumin might be a concern for some budget-conscious grill enthusiasts.
Overall, my experience with the Weber Lumin grill has been enjoyable and satisfying. Despite its few drawbacks, the grill’s performance, versatility, and eco-friendliness make it a valuable addition to my outdoor cooking setup.
Weber Lumin Price and Value
When considering the purchase of a new grill, it’s important to weigh the price against the value offered. In the case of the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills, there are a few key factors to consider.
Comparing the price of both grills
The Weber Lumin Electric Grill, with its larger cooking area and additional features, understandably comes with a higher price tag compared to the Lumin Compact. For those with ample space and a need for a more versatile grilling experience, the Lumin may be worth the investment.
On the other hand, the Lumin Compact Electric Grill offers a more budget-friendly option for those who have limited space or simply prefer a smaller grill without sacrificing performance.
Assessing the value for money
When it comes to value for money, both the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills have their strengths.
The Lumin, with its larger cooking area, smoke infusion feature, and multiple cooking modes, provides a comprehensive grilling experience that justifies its higher price. It’s an excellent choice for those who frequently host larger gatherings or enjoy experimenting with various cooking techniques.
The Lumin Compact, on the other hand, offers many of the same features as its larger counterpart, but in a smaller, more affordable package. It’s compact size and lower price makes it an attractive option for those who may have limited space or are new to grilling. While it may not have the same level of versatility as the Lumin, the Lumin Compact still delivers impressive performance and quality that make it a great value for the price.
The value for money of each grill will depend on your individual needs, preferences, and budget. Both the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills have a lot to offer, so it’s up to you to determine which one best aligns with your grilling requirements and priorities.
Enhancing your grilling experience with the Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills can be made even more enjoyable with the addition of optional accessories. These accessories can help you get the most out of your grill and offer added convenience, versatility, and protection.
- Collapsible Stand with Side Table: Designed to make your grilling experience more comfortable and efficient, the collapsible stand with a side table offers a sturdy platform for your grill while also providing extra space for food preparation or serving. When not in use, the stand easily folds up for convenient storage.
- Premium Grill Cover for Lumin Electric Grill with Stand / Lumin Compact Electric Grill with Stand: Protect your investment with a premium grill cover specifically designed to fit either the Lumin or Lumin Compact Electric Grill when used with the stand. This durable cover shields your grill from the elements, helping to prolong its lifespan and maintain its appearance.
- Griddle: Expand your culinary horizons with a griddle designed for use with your Weber Lumin or Lumin Compact Electric Grill. This accessory allows you to cook a variety of dishes, from breakfast favorites like pancakes and eggs to stir-fries and fajitas, adding even more versatility to your grilling experience.
- Versatility Expansion Kit: Take your grilling skills to new heights with the versatility expansion kit. This kit includes a variety of accessories designed to enhance your cooking experience and allow you to experiment with different techniques, such as smoking, rotisserie cooking, and even pizza making.
- Premium Grill Cover for Grill Only: For those who prefer to store their grill without the stand, a premium grill cover designed to fit just the grill is available. This cover provides the same level of protection as the one for the grill with the stand, ensuring your Weber Lumin or Lumin Compact Electric Grill remains in top condition.
With the Lumin Versatility Kit, sold separately, you can turn your Lumin into a buffet-style server. The kit includes chafing dishes that fit perfectly on the Lumin’s side table, which means you can keep your food warm while you cook more food on the grill.
These optional accessories can help you make the most of your Weber Lumin or Lumin Compact Electric Grill, so you can enjoy an even more satisfying and versatile outdoor cooking experience.
Related reading: Can You Use An Electric Grill In The Rain?
The Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills are innovative and versatile additions to the world of outdoor cooking. Both grills offer an array of features, such as multiple cooking modes, smoke infusion, and high-temperature capabilities, which cater to various cooking needs and preferences. Their compact and portable designs make them suitable for different environments, whether you have limited space or enjoy taking your grill on the go.
- Space: Assess the space you have available for your grill. If you have a smaller patio, balcony, or outdoor area, the Lumin Compact may be a better fit due to its smaller dimensions.
- Cooking Needs: Think about the type of cooking you plan to do and the number of people you typically serve. The Lumin offers a larger cooking area, making it more suitable for larger gatherings or more elaborate meals, while the Lumin Compact is ideal for smaller groups or simpler dishes.
- Portability: If you plan to take your grill with you on trips or move it around frequently, the Lumin Compact’s lighter weight and smaller size might be more convenient.
- Budget: Evaluate your budget and determine which grill provides the best value for your needs. While both grills offer excellent performance, the Lumin Compact comes at a lower price point, making it a more budget-friendly option.
- Accessories: Consider the optional accessories that are available for both grills and how they may enhance your grilling experience. Keep in mind that some accessories may be more compatible with one grill than the other.
The Weber Lumin and Lumin Compact Electric Grills are both excellent choices for outdoor cooking enthusiasts who value convenience, versatility, and quality. By considering your specific needs and preferences, you can determine which of these grills is the perfect fit for your outdoor culinary adventures.