How To Clean A Grill Cover?
Grill covers are indeed essential for protecting our precious outdoor grills from harsh weather conditions and keeping them in top shape.
However, as you have probably noticed, the covers themselves are not immune to getting dirty and require proper cleaning.
In this article, I will share my expert tips on how to clean grill covers effectively. Whether you own a Weber Genesis grill cover or any other type of grill cover, the information provided below will help you keep your grill cover clean.
So, let’s dive right in and explore some effective methods for cleaning your grill cover!
- How To Clean Your Grill Cover?
- How to Clean Mold off the Grill Cover?
- Cleaning Different Types of Grill Covers
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To Clean Your Grill Cover?
Before we dive into the specifics of how to clean your grill cover, it’s important to understand that there are two types of grill cleaning – spot cleaning and regular cleaning.
Spot cleaning involves cleaning your grill cover after each grilling session to remove any grime, grease, or other debris that may have accumulated. This is a quick and easy process that helps to prevent build-up and ensures that your grill cover remains in good condition.
On the other hand, regular cleaning is a more in-depth process that you should do every few weeks or months. This involves a more thorough cleaning of your grill cover to remove any stubborn stains, odors, or discolorations. By regularly cleaning your grill cover, you’ll help to prolong its lifespan and keep it looking its best.
When Should You Clean Your Grill Cover?
There is no specific schedule for cleaning barbecue covers.
You can clean it every time you remove the grill cover or do it when needed.
Important: remove bird droppings as soon as you notice them because they can damage the grill cover.
Cleaning Your Cover After Every Grilling Session
Spot cleaning the grill cover works well when cleaning the problematic spots of your cover after using the grill.
You’ll need warm water, a mild degreaser, dish soap, and something to use to wipe the cover. A piece of cloth or paper towels will do.
- Remove large food particles from the grill cover.
- Remove the dust and dirt from the cover using warm soapy water (dishwasher liquid works just fine) and a soft piece of cloth or sponge.
- Use a hose to rinse the soapy water.
- Allow the grill cover dry before putting it on the grill again.
It is vital to ensure the cover is completely dry before using it to cover the grill to prevent transferring moisture to the grill. Moisture can cause your grill to rust.
Regular Grill Cover Cleaning
Occasionally cleaning your grill cover is an effective way of keeping your cover in good condition.
- The first thing you should do is get rid of any debris or food particles that might be on the cover.
- Use a sponge to transfer the detergent to the grill cover.
- Give the cleaner some time to be absorbed into the fabric.
- Identify areas with stains and use a sponge and brush with soft bristles to remove the stains. Bear in mind that these cleaning tools should be non-abrasive.
- After the cleaning agent has worked its magic, rinse it off by splashing a bucket of water on it or using a garden hose.
- Put your grill cover in the sun to dry.
- You should repeat the entire process if some stains are still left on the cover.
Do not leave the cleaner on the cover for too long because it will dry on the material. Also, when rinsing, make sure you remove all cleaners.
How to Clean Mold off the Grill Cover?
Removing the mold spots from your grill cover is easy.
You should not use harsh chemicals even to remove mold from your grill cover. White vinegar can help to get rid of mold and mildew.
Below you will find steps to clean mold off the grill cover.
- Pour the undiluted vinegar onto a spray bottle and spray it directly onto the cover sections affected by mildew.
- Allow the vinegar to settle into the material for about an hour.
- After that, clean the cover using soapy water and a soft brush if you want to get rid of other residue that may be on the cover.
- If mold is still on the grill cover, spray it with white vinegar again.
- You may notice some black or greenish stains on the cover after getting rid of the mold. Wash them with soapy water.
- Finally, get some running water and use it to rinse the grill cover. Hang the cover in the sun and let it completely dry before using it.
Related Reading: How To Keep Grill Cover From Blowing Away?
Cleaning Different Types of Grill Covers
There is a variety of materials used to make grill covers. Examples of these cover materials include canvas, polyester, and vinyl. Although these materials are different, you can use the same cleaning methods for all of them.
You can also use the same principles to clean grill covers from different brands. Washing Weber grill covers, Kingkong covers, Traegerg, Brinkmann, Nexgrill covers, and other covers are no different.
There are, however, a few variations that you need to take note of.
- You should use the minimum amount of water when cleaning light vinyl grill covers because water can make the material crack. The good news is that the heavy-duty vinyl material is waterproof.
- Some linings of grill covers (like the fleece linings) are more likely to get mold and mildew than others. Therefore, covers with these kinds of linings should be exposed to sunlight for longer to ensure they are completely dry. Linings made of wood attract insects and various types of bugs.
- Covers made of polyester (Weber Q grill cover, for example) take a shorter time to dry than other covers. Therefore, you remove them from the line after a short while.
Related Reading: How To Make A Grill Cover Out Of A Tarp?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you wash the grill cover?
Yes, you can wash your grill cover or spot-clean it if necessary. Just do it manually, and even don’t think about machine washing.
Can you machine wash a grill cover?
No, you should not wash your grill cover in the washing machine because it will damage your cover. Always handwash your BBQ cover, and never put your grill cover in the washing machine.
How do I clean the inside of my grill cover?
Clean the inside of the cover the same way you clean the outside of the grill cover. Wash it with a hose, sponge, and soapy water, and hang it in the sun. If you notice moisture in your cover, you can dry it with a towel.
How to clean pollen off the grill cover?
Rinsing can be enough to clean pollen off your grill cover. Spray the grill cover with a garden hose to remove the pollen.
More work is required if the stubborn pollen has stuck to the cover. Prepare a cleaning solution by mixing one part mild dish soap with four parts warm water in a bucket or spray bottle. Use a soft-bristled brush to scrub the pollen off the grill cover. Rinse the grill cover with a garden hose to remove any remaining pollen and soap residue.
With the information provided here, you will never have to wonder how to clean the grill cover again. A grill is an investment. If you don’t take care of it, your money will go down the drain.
Some people have their grills permanently outdoors because they cannot carry them indoors every time they are done using them. This is where covers come in.
When your grill is outside, it is exposed to dust, dirt, stains, and various unwanted elements. Therefore, it is prone to faster damage. However, when you put a cover on your barbecue to protect your grill, it will serve you for an extended period.
The fact that the covers also outside mean that they will get dirty. That is why you need to clean them.
Remember that a dirty cover will make your grill dirty, which is unhygienic since it is where you prepare your food. Happy grill cover cleaning!